API Version 5.1.1 (Current)
To start using App SDK, the following details are required.
- App ID (appid): Unique ID assigned to the player/site and configured by product.
- Nielsen SDK and Sample Player: A part of the downloaded package.
If you do not have any of these pre-requisites or if you have any questions, please contact our SDK sales support team.
Refer to Setting up Development Environment
for information on importing libraries.
- The latest version of App SDK allows instantiating multiple instances of App SDK object and can be used simultaneously without any issues.
The latest version of App SDK contains only appsdk.jar file and does not feature any native shared libraries like libAppSdk.so.
The integrator should always tag the landing page on the app.
Initialize App SDK as soon as the application is launched. Refer to Initialization
for details on initializing an AppSDK object and the parameters required.
Configure API calls – play
For static <App Measurement> content, play()
API is not required.
Configure API calls – loadMetadata
to pass details about content section. The CMS data must be passed as a JSON object.
Refer to Metadata
section above for the parameters to be passed in the JSON object.
loadMetadata() call after the first play() call must have (“type”: “static”). This call should occur before any preroll ad starts playing.
Configure API calls – setPlayheadPosition
For static <App Measurement> content, no playhead has to be supplied to the SDK.
Configure API calls – stop
For static <App Measurement> content, stop() API is not required.
API Call sequence
Call loadMetadata() with JSON metadata as below
Handling Foreground and Background states of App
There are two ways of handling the foreground and background states of the client application.
- Let App SDK handle the app states information (foreground / background) and use it, as necessary. Click here for more information.
- Capture app states through the application and trigger the corresponding API (appInForeground() or appInBackground()) upon every change of state. This allows Nielsen App SDK to know the app state.
Click here for more information.
New devices (Android 4.0 and later versions)
Add application tag to Manifest XML file
When client’s app supports only new devices (Android 4.0 and above) and the client has not implemented a custom Application class for some other purpose,
- Add the following entry (application tag) into the Manifest XML file to use SDK’s state detection feature.
This is the custom Application class where the whole background detection implementation is done.
No new permissions are required to change the properties in Manifest XML file.
Older devices (Android 4.0 or earlier version)
Identify the change of state through the application and call the respective API (appInForeground() or appInBackground()) upon
every change of state (foreground / background). The SDK will use this information to pass the app launch times, etc. to Collection facility.
Nielsen Measurement Opt-Out Implementation
As a global information and measurement leader, we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the data we collect, process and use. Our digital measurement products are not used to identify the consumer in any way, but they help us and our clients measure and analyze how consumers engage with media across online, mobile and emerging technologies, and offer insights into consumer behavior.
- When the app user wants to opt in or opt out of Nielsen measurement, a new dynamic page (with content string obtained from userOptOutURLString()) should be displayed.
- This Opt-out page should be displayed in a webview (within the app) and not in any external browser.
- Capture the user’s selection in this page and pass it to the SDK through userOptOut() for Nielsen to save the user’s preference.
- For more details, refer to Opt-Out Implementation and Nielsen Digital Privacy.
The SDK will continue measurement even after the user has opted out from Nielsen measurement.
- After the application is ready to be sent for Nielsen Certification, please go through the Pre-Certification Checklist and ensure the app behaves as expected, before submitting to Nielsen.
Testing an Implementation – App
for information on Testing the App Implementation.